I also made a YouTube video (step numbers are different to that of the written tutorial) at the end of this article that shows you how to install it for those who are more visually inclined. I think it is a great idea to have this installed as a backup. If you were phoneness or without a phone without WhatsApp on for a period of time you still will be able to connect with your WhatsApp friends / family through YouWave.
Also, you cannot have two devices registered with the same phone number. The latest one you authenticate with will deregister it with your first device.
Also check out my Installing WhatsApp on Mac or PC Doable? article if you are keen to make an Adium plugin or develop a native app.
How to Install Android, Android Apps with WhatsApp as an Example
Step 4: Install it in Windows
Step 5: If you installed the trial or the full paid version go to Step 10
Step 6: Logout of Windows
Step 7: Move the patch file to C:\Program Files (x86)\YouWave_Android
Step 8: Right click and run as administrator
Step 9: Run the patch and click apply
Step 10: Run the YouWave Program
Step 11: Click View > Online Content (See Below)
|Step 11: Online Content Button|
|Step 12: WhatsApp Install Button|
Step 13: After installing (if you installed an app) go to View > Apps
Step 14: Double click to launch the desired app (if not WhatsApp)
Step 15: If you installed something other than WhatsApp you are finished at this step
Step 16: Double Click WhatsApp (See Below)
|Step 16: Click WhatsApp twice|
Step 17: Click Agree & Continue (Watch Video Below @1:31 to see detailed instructions)
Tip: Using keyboard arrows and clicking enter is easier than clicking with mouse
Step 18: Enter your country code (see here if you do not know, Australia is 61)
Step 19: Enter your phone number as an example: +61 452 432 422 enter this 452432422
Step 20: Check your number to see if it looks right, then proceed. WhatsApp will send you an SMS from +44 7624 803 777
Step 21: If WhatsApp does not send you an SMS within 5 mins, click the call me button
Step 22: Enter the 3 digit number you hear or type the 3 digit number you got sent via SMS, then a name you want everyone to see you as and.....
You are done :) Now you can type messages and receive them on your PC. However, as I said before it is not the most ideal option as you can't have your computer on you all the time like a phone and using WhatsApp in YouWave will deauthenticate WhatsApp on your phone, reducing functionality.
• You will have to add existing contacts manually through YouWave Android
• Group Chats show if you have used WhatsApp before
• You're conversations will not be transferred over to your android emulator
• A native app would be best, however this is the best option (at the moment to get WhatsApp on your PC)
• Remember, you can install other apps, games and utilities through this method
• Would be a good way to emulate the Android experience for someone who is thinking of making the switch from iPhone / Nokia / Blackberry for example to Android OS
• You could download Android Developer SDK and use that as an emulator as an alternative. But it does not work out of the box. Additional downloads are needed and the files are quite large as well. But it would probably be more responsive than YouWave but can't say for certain as I have not tried or researched into it.
• Another option is that you could use BlueStacks which is another Android OS emulator.